Competency Area 2: Crop Staging, Growth and Development
PO 5. Know the different systems used to stage corn, small grains and soybean.
PO 6. Know how to identify growth stages between emergence and physiological maturity of corn, small grain, and soybean.
Small Grain-Feekes Scale is the most commonly used scale in the USA (Zadoks scale is used in Europe):
|Wheat matures in mid July
||Straw harvest in late July|
Corn-Iowa or leaf ligule staging method
This information is provided in: Hanway, J.J. and S.W. Ritchie. 1984. How a Corn Plant Develops: Special Report No. 48, Iowa State University. For more information see this publication.
- Competency Area 1: Crop Adaptation
- Competency Area 2: Crop Staging, Growth, and Development
- Competency Area 3: Tillage Systems
- Competency Area 4: Seeding Factors
- Competency Area 5: Seeding Rates and Row Spacing
- Competency Area 6: Considerations in Replanting Decisions
- Competency Area 7: Forage Harvesting Factors
- Competency Area 8: Cropping Systems